Juvenile Aid Bureau
The Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department Juvenile Aid Bureau is staffed by specially trained detectives and a civilian Youth Aide who are supervised by a Detective Sergeant.
This extremely important bureau works with schools, social agencies and others in the community with the goal to assist troubled youth to prevent them from entering the criminal justice system and to provide a safe and healthy environment for the young people in the Town of Poughkeepsie.
The Juvenile Aid Bureau’s responsibilities are numerous and sometimes difficult. The bureau handles crimes committed by those under the age of sixteen, as well as crimes where the victim was under sixteen. The bureau also conducts investigations where a child is being physically or sexually abused or where the welfare of a child may be at risk.
The Juvenile Aid Bureau staff works closely with agencies such as:
- Dutchess County Children’s Service Council – “Helping Our Families” - An excellent service guide for Dutchess County parents
- www.MYYDD.org is a Youth Digital Directory of helpful resources.
- Dutchess County Child Advocacy Center – 249 Hooker Ave., Poughkeepsie, NY – 845-454-0595
- Dutchess County District Attorney’s Office – 22 Market St. Poughkeepsie NY – 845- 486-2110
- Dutchess County Probation - 50 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, NY – 845-486-2650
- Dutchess County Division of Youth Services – 27 High Street, Poughkeepsie, NY – 845-486-3665
- Dutchess County Child Protective Services – (NYS Toll Free Reporting Line) 1-800-342-3720
- Dutchess County Social Services – 60 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, NY – 845-486-3000
- Dutchess County Family Court – 50 Market St. Poughkeepsie NY 12601 – 845-486-2500
- National Association for Shoplifting Prevention - 380 N. Broadway Jericho, NY 11753 (800) 848- 9595
- For Car Seat Information and other child safety info visit USA.SafeKids.org - Safe Kids USA is a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global network of organizations whose mission is to prevent accidental childhood injury, a leading killer of children 14 and under.
- Make a Difference for Kids, Inc. is non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization promoting awareness and prevention of cyberbullying and suicide through education.
The staff of the Town of Poughkeepsie Juvenile Aid Bureau is highly trained to deal with the difficult challenges of assisting the most vulnerable victims we deal with…our children. The members of this bureau receive training in such areas as forensic interviewing of children, sex crime investigations and domestic violence/abuse.
The Town of Poughkeepsie Police Juvenile Aid Bureau is fully equipped to assist the victims who come to us for help. The bureau has its own private entrance, so victims do not have to enter the public lobby of the police department. The bureau is private and comfortably decorated to have a non-threatening or “police like” atmosphere. The victim interview room resembles a living room with a sofa, recliner, toys and games to help a child relax and feel safe when speaking with us.
The J.A.B. is dedicated to promoting and ensuring the safety, education and welfare of all young people throughout the Town. Anyone with questions or seeking assistance can contact the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Juvenile Aid Bureau directly at (845) 485-3688