The Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department Technology Operations is staffed by both sworn and civilian members. They are responsible for the computer operations of the department.
- creation of programs and databases custom made for the unit/operator
- maintenance/operation of all computers in the police headquarters
- maintenance/operation of all mobile computers in police cars
- maintenance/operation of police headquarters card access security systems
- maintenance/operation of department phone and voicemail system
- maintenance/operation of department radio systems
- maintenance/operation of departments records management system
- maintenance/operation of license plate reader
Technology Operations most important responsibility is the creation, maintenance and operation of the departments Computer Aided Dispatch System. This system is the “heart” of the communications center, where massive amounts of information is received, entered and accessed. This technology allows the dispatch staff to instantly access records, access street maps, access aerial photos of large apartment/mobile home complexes to pinpoint exact locations and to communicate “off the air” with police cars via computer messaging to in-car laptops.
Technology Operations also maintains the departments Automatic Vehicle Location system, which allows GPS tracking of exactly where ALL police vehicles are located on a displayed map screen. This allows accurate and timely response for emergency calls.
Because Technology Operations is staffed by both civilian and sworn members, our department has the highest quality equipment and programs that are also “officer” friendly to use.