Obtaining Police Information

How can I get a copy of a police report?

Police reports are only released by subpoena. Blotter reports may be released after a FOIL request is submitted.  Click here for FOIL request form. Please mail the completed form to the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department, 19 Tucker Drive, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603.

How can I get a copy of my criminal history?

The Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department will only release information regarding incidents that occurred in the Town of Poughkeepsie. Please submit a FOIL request and in the narrative explain how you would like the information returned to you (Email, Fax, or Mail. If by Mail please include a self-addressed stamped envelope.) Requests can take between 1-4 weeks to process. Please contact the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Identification Division at 845-485-3664 if you have any other questions.

Traffic or Vehicle Related Questions

I have a question about my traffic ticket. Who do I call?

Anyone with questions relating to a traffic ticket that has been issued is directed to call the Town of Poughkeepsie Town Court at 845-485-3692 and then press the star (*) key.

How do I get my car out of impound?

The registered owner must call the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Traffic Division at 845-485-3680 to make an appointment Monday – Friday, between the hours of 8 AM and 2 PM. The registered owner is liable for all towing/storage fees. Vehicles will not be released without proof of payment of towing and storage fees. In most cases, prior approval from the District Attorney’s office is needed in order to release a vehicle from impound.

How do I get a copy of my accident report?

Accident reports are available for your convenience online. To obtain a copy of a crash report, please go to LexisNexis

For those without internet availability, copies can be obtained in person at police headquarters. Accident reports will only be emailed or faxed by the Traffic Division upon official written requests submitted for each instance.

Please allow ten (10) business days after the accident before questing a copy of the report.

How can I get a child seat installed in my vehicle?

Please check our event calendar for the next Child Seat Installation event. If there is no event scheduled in the near future, you may call the Traffic Division at 845-485-3680 to set up an appointment for installation at Police Department Headquarters.

Crime Related Information

Where can I get information on Domestic Violence or Child Abuse?

All of the agencies listed below provide services to victims.  Each number listed is a 24-hour hotline:

Dutchess County Domestic Violence Services -
24 Hour Hotline: 845-485-5550

Crime Victim Resources and Agencies 

Grace Smith House, Inc

Dutchess County Office of the Aging - 845-486-2555

Astor Home for Children 

NY State Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-342-3720

How do I obtain an order of protection in Family Court?

If there is a Domestic Violence incident, regardless of whether there is an arrest, or whether the police were even called, you can go to Dutchess County Family Court and ask to file a “Family Offense Petition” requesting an Order of Protection. The intake worker will ask you for information about the incident. It is important to be as specific as possible, and it is especially helpful to know the dates, times, and addresses of incidents. After filing the petition, you will be sent directly to Family Court to see a Judge.

How do I obtain an order of protection in Criminal Court?

You can only obtain an Order of Protection from Criminal Court when there has been an arrest and/or criminal charges have been filed. At the time of arraignment, the police officer can request an Order of Protection for you. If an Order of Protection is not requested at arraignment, you can call the Special Victims Bureau of the District Attorney’s Office and request assistance in getting an Order of Protection.

What can I do about annoying phone calls?

If you become the victim of annoying phone calls, you should keep track of the dates and times of each call and report them to the police department. You should also contact the annoyance bureau for your phone company which may be able to assist in tracking the origin of the calls if they have a police report number. For more information on Verizon’s call trace service, contact Verizon toll-free at 1-877-TRACE 4U (1-877-872-2347)

What can I do about identity theft?

In addition to reporting this to the police department, immediately get replacement credit cards with new account numbers and ask that the old accounts be processed as “account closed at consumer’s request”. You should also report the theft of your credit cards and/or numbers to the fraud units of the three credit reporting companies: EquifaxExperian, and Trans Union. Also, notify your bank(s) of the theft. 

What can I do if I am the victim of Internet Crime?

Report all incidents involving Internet crime to the Internet Crime Complaint Center online at www.ic3.gov.

How can I report narcotics activity in my neighborhood?

Contact Town of Poughkeepsie Headquarters at 845-485-3666 or the Dutchess County Drug Task Force at 845-463-6040.

What can I do if I have received a bad check?

The Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department is able to process a bad check for you as a criminal matter. We do not get involved in the collection of funds. In order for us to handle your case you must:

  • Have the original check
  • Obtain a certificate of protest from the originating bank
  • Send a registered (return receipt requested) letter demanding payment to the person who wrote the check

Once you have received the certificate of protest AND the return receipt of mailing, you must wait 10 business days from the date the letter was received by the check writer. When the 10-day period has passed, you should bring ALL of the documents with you, including a copy of the letter sent to the person who wrote the check, to the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department.

The Desk Officer will take possession of the documents, initiate a police record (blotter number), and forward the file to the Detective Division. Upon being assigned the case a detective will contact you as soon as possible.

You will be signing a criminal complaint against the person who wrote you the bad check. A warrant will be issued for that person’s arrest.

Once the criminal complaint has been signed you may be required to appear in court and provide testimony.

After you have signed the criminal complaint and criminal action has been started, DO NOT ACCEPT ANY RESTITUTION. To do so will compromise the criminal case.

If you have any other questions, contact the Detective Division at 845-485-3670.

Miscellaneous Information

How can I get fingerprinted for a job application?

The Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department will only fingerprint Town of Poughkeepsie residents. We do not fingerprint people for immigration purposes. In order to be fingerprinted, you must call the Identification Bureau at 845-485-3664 Monday-Friday and make an appointment. At the time of your appointment, you must bring with you the fingerprint cards, which are supplied by the agency requesting the fingerprints, and a $10.00 check or money order made out to the Town of Poughkeepsie.

How do I get a handicap-parking permit?

Effective April 1, 2017 – Handicap parking permit applications can be accessed on this website, at the Town of Poughkeepsie Town Hall – Town Clerk’s Office, or from your Doctor.
Your completed application along with a copy of your driver’s license should then be submitted to:

Town of Poughkeepsie Town Hall
Attn: Town Clerk’s Office
1 Overocker Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603

Your handicap permit will then be mailed to you within 5-7 business days.

Does your Police Department have an internship program?

Yes – please send your resume and letter of request to:

Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department
Attn: Internship Program
19 Tucker Drive
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603

Email: Or send by e-mail to training@townofpoughkeepsie-ny.gov